The Social Security Administration is the agency that provides monthly benefits to many dependent citizens of America. It has scheduled dates of payments released every month. If someone thinks, why my social security direct deposit is late? Then one must first check out the monthly calendar. Usually, the payments are deposited on Wednesdays of every month by the date of birth of the receiver.
Social Security benefits are directly deposited to the client’s accounts on every second, third and fourth Wednesday of the month respectively. This has been the monthly schedule since June of 1997. The same date of birth approach is used by the Social Security Retirement Benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and the Social Security Disability Benefits. More than half of the recipients of the Social Security Benefits are retirees.
According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), almost 49 million families and individuals were entitled to receive retirement benefits by June 2020.
Usually, the Social Security payments are on time and released as per the pre-scheduled calendar. Let’s have a detailed look at the scheduled procedure of Social Security payments:
Schedule of Social Security Payments
- The person who is born between 1 to 10th of a month is entitled to receive his/her Social Security Direct Deposit on the second Wednesday of every month.
- The people who are born between the 11th and 20th of a month are liable to receive their direct deposits of Social Security on the third Wednesday each month.
- People who were born between the 21st and 31st of the month will receive their Social Security payments on the fourth Wednesday of every month.
It is notable here that spouses or children who are entitled to receive the benefits based on the said individuals will be receiving the payment on the same day as the person in reality.
Exceptions to the Pre-decided Schedule of Social Security Payments
There are few exceptions to the pre-decided payment schedule of the Social Security payments, which can be because of various reasons. The said payment will be arriving on a different date; if the person is enlisted in any of the following categories. They will receive their payments on the third day each month. They are listed below:
- If the State is paying the Medicare premiums of a said person then his/her payment arrives on an alternate scheduled date.
- If a person started receiving the Social Security benefits before May 1st of 1997. The Social Security Administration used to follow a different payment schedule before June 1997.
- If the person entitled to receive the payment is residing in a different country.
- The person is already receiving SSI payments as well as Social Security benefits.
Another exception in the above-mentioned categories is that a person is liable to receive his/her direct deposit on the first day of every month if they are receiving SSI because of age, blindness, or disability.
SSI is a need-based administration agency unlike Social Security Retirement or the Disability benefits or even Medicare. It is not something you keep on depositing for while you are working. SSI is a forum to pay for the needs of clothes, shelter, or basic nutritional food.
When does the First Payment arrive?
The Social Security Retirement benefits along with the disability and the survivors’ benefits are accumulated with the agency and paid in the month after the month for payment is represented.
For instance, if you are expecting to receive your first direct deposit payment in May according to the date of birth schedule then you will be receiving the benefits in June.
Delivery of Social Security Payment Electronically
The Social Security Administration does not mail paper checks anymore, although, the U.S Department of Treasury does occasionally break the tradition itself for some exceptions. Normally, the payments of Social Security are delivered in two ways:
- The simple and straightforward method of direct deposit. The payments are automatically posted to the given bank accounts and delivered on the pre-scheduled delivery dates.
- The other method to attain the Social Security benefits is to get it paid via a Direct Express Debit Card; if the person has not signed up for a direct deposit or does not hold a bank account.
The payments are posted on the accounts automatically on the given scheduled day. The Direct Express Card works everywhere wherever Debit MasterCard works even for ATM payments, grocery stores, or in the payment of monthly utility bills.
What if my Social Security Direct Deposit is late or does not come?
If the Social Security direct deposit is late or it does not come on time, then it is advised to call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 and they will locate the nearest Social Security office for you to sort out the issue. If for any reason the direct deposit or the debit card fund hasn’t been made on time, then the SSA will ask you to wait for another three days for them to resolve the problem.
There is no risk of the payment being stolen as almost all of the procedure is conducted virtually. If the person has selected the direct deposit option, then he should be fully convinced that he will receive the payment sooner or later as the money is transmitted to the bank account directly.